Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A lesson in faith

While we spent a couple of days visiting my daughter and her family recently,
the Lord reminded me of what it is to have childlike faith.
To believe that He is and that He can and will do what He says.


It all started with the $1.00 bin at Target.
I saw these cute little flower pot eggs that came with dirt and the seeds and thought that would be a fun project for the girls to do with their momma.  I like to send them happies from time to time and this was perfect.   What I didn't expect is that I would get to do the project with them myself. ...double fun stuff. Unplanned, impromptu trips brings unexpected delight too :)

So, here I am with the girls, helping them plant their flowers.  
Julia Rose has a gerber daisy.  Rosalyn has petunias.
I love the looks on their faces....they are really listening as I tell them about taking care of their tiny little seed and watching it grow.

Mixing up the dirt with water...
Getting the seeds ready....

Her little wheels were spinning as she took it all in.  As I was opening the little packs, I told her about how teeny tiny the seeds were but they were gonna grow into a big beautiful flower...

She was so excited to see the seeds as she sprinkled them in her pots.
She was unusually quiet during this whole process. ..



 She and Julia Rose found a home for their flowers and decided the window sill was the perfect place with lots of sunshine.

And then she waited....
And they waited some more.....
We told them a flower takes time to grow.  Their Paw Paw told them it was like when their baby brother was in their mommy's tummy....he took a long time to grow before he was ready to come out.  Rosalyn understood that and nodded in agreement ......Yet they still stood there waiting for the flower to pop out of the dirt.

That evening we all piled into the mini van to go out to eat and I was sitting in the "way back" with Rosalyn and everything was really quiet and all of a sudden, Rosalyn squealed with excitement...as if she had just remembered something.."Honey!,  When we get home, I'm gonna have a biiiiig beautiful flower!!!"  


Wow. It hit me square in the heart....how she thoroughly believes, without a doubt that she is gonna have a flower.  Why?  Because I told her she will.  She has no doubt that what I told her is true.  I told her IF she took care of it, if she watered it, if she gave it the sunlight it needed it, then those little seeds will grow into a flower.  She believes me.  Not for one second in her little mind is she even concerned about the circumstances that could hinder it....Like I'm thinking.. what if the seeds were old? What if they are a dud?  What if she waters them too much?  What if she doesn't water them enough?  These are all of the things that we worry about.  But she isn't concerned .....she believes that we did what we were supposed to do and now she is waiting, with expectation, for her flower to bloom.

I want to have complete trust and faith in the Lord like that.
He has given us "instructions" and when we follow what He has told us, we will have the results He has promised.  We don't have to worry about anything being a "dud" when it  comes to a promise from God.  If He says it.  It's true.  In fact His word tells us that all the promises of God  are Yes and in Him Amen. (2 Corinthians 1:20)  And that the word of the Lord is right and all His work is done in truth! (Psalm  33:4) Oh to have the faith of that centurion in Luke 7 that even caused Jesus to marvel!  That story always intrigues me....I mean, what can make Jesus, the One who has power over death, marvel ? The man's faith, that's what.

I'm more like the father in Mark 9 who Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes."  And then the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe;
help my unbelief!"

God is for us.  And His promises are for us...always for His glory.
As I think back on Rosalyn listening to every instruction I gave as we planted her seeds,
 She listened intently.
 She followed directions.
Then she expected results!


Wow.  What a lesson for this grandma.  SO simple and exactly how we should live each day as a believer. Listening to the Lord as we spend time with him in fellowship.
Following the directions He gives us through His word!
And then expecting Him to do what He promises!!


And I thought we were just gonna play a little with some dirt that day! Ha. 

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
nor stands in the path of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
and whatever he does shall prosper.
Psalm 1:1-3

I so want to bear fruit.  I don't plan on withering anytime soon.

 I'm listening Lord.

Stephanie :)

10 comments:

  1. i absolutely adore every single thing about this post!!!! how beautiful and sweet. children are amazing.

    i read the childrens version of "heaven is for real" to my son last night (wonderful book) and his questions took my breath away. i learn so much from him.

    what a great reminder.
    xo,
    jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great lesson for all of us. : ) What beautiful little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, yes and yes! you are on to something here!
    praying and living in EXPECTATION! fully trusting.
    i love this in every way and i even wrote a little bit about it yesterday.
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful, glad I got to read it. I find myself also crying "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often pray for the child like faith. Where does it go? I hate that life hardens us to that. Thank you so much for this post. God let's us know how He will care for us, we just need to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, I so thank you for this. I so want & desire child like faith everyday. I thank the Lord for giving you the words, so you could & can encourage others who struggle with this. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh honey, thanks so much for sharing this story! that mark 9 verse is one i've prayed many, many times. such an encouraging post :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. well, this is beautiful. so grateful for such sweet lessons!!
    and these photos are LOVELY.

    miss you xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post. What a great reminder for us to have this type of faith in God as we wait expectantly on Him. Thank you so much! Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet little post. I wish we could all be more like little kids sometimes. You will for sure have to post the pictures WHEN (not if!) the little seeds start to sprout. I'll be so excited to see them!

    Beautiful blog you have here, I'm excited to tag along with your adventures. And I'm your 201st follower!

    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...