Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, March 10, 2014

Why I love Stitch Fix.

This month makes my 7th fix.
When I gave it a try the first time, I really thought it was gonna be a one time deal for me.    I mean, I love getting stuff in the mail. And I love surprises even more.  But I'm a serious bargain hunter and am pretty cheap when it comes to what I spend on clothes. So I went into this as a serious skeptic.  And I know some of you are cut from the same cloth as me and prefer clearance racks and thrift stores.  I get that.

So what has made me fall so hard for Stitch Fix? I mean aren't their clothes kinda pricey?
Well kind sorta. But I'll get to that in a minute.

For those of you who don't know about this goodness, let me share in a nutshell what it is.
You sign up, fill out a profile…tell them a little about your style, your body type, and any other tips you want to share.  You can give them links to Pinterest boards and social media accounts so they can check out the stuff you like and see your style. They assign you a personal stylists who then chooses clothes that she thinks you will not only like but will also be flattering to your shape.  I let them know from the beginning that I don't like short hemlines or plunging necklines..that I wasn't crazy about sleeveless stuff but I will wear it occasionally , especially if I can throw on a cardigan with it and that I was in the process of losing weight and my pant size was a little tricky. Plus..I don't have a "set style".  My style is kinda random and eclectic from modern, to classic, to retro, to bohemian and everything else in between. So my poor girl Catherine  had her work cut out for her with me. 

The lowdown is like this. 
You pay $20 for your stylist fee, they send you 5 pieces in a box straight to your door.  You can schedule monthly fixes or whenever you want. Every other month, birthdays…its totally up to you how often you  want them to send you a fix. You get three business days to try them on with stuff in your closet and text pics to your friends  asking their opinion and then you keep what you want or send what you don't like back in a postage paid bag that comes in your fix.  You just have to drop it off in the mail.  If you don't keep anything, they keep the $20 but if you do keep something the $20 goes toward whatever you buy! And if you keep all five pieces you get 25% off the entire fix!

Before I get to cost of the clothes and all that stuff, let me show you what Catherine chose for me this month.  I loved it all. Remember, the longer you stick with it, the more your stylists gets to know you and the more she will get it right. With every fix you get to share what you liked or didn't like about each piece…be very honest and detailed here.  This will help her in choosing clothes for you the next time.  

Piece number one.
 I have been eyeballing all the pretty floral prints that are popping up everywhere and I didn't even ask Catherine to send me that specifically.   I love that.  

 I knew immediately this was a keeper.
 I liked it with my boyfriend jeans and my dark wash dressy jeans.  I wore it with tucked int the other day with a belt and it looked great too.


 Next up was this crocheted tank.  I was super torn about this one.

 I love the details of this…especially the bottom of it!

 It looked great with jeans too and all my Noonday Collection jewelry.
But in the end I decided not to keep it because  it was a little big in the arm holes.  You can't tell from these pics but you could see my bra no matter which kind I tried on with it. This one was a little pricey so for me to justify spending that much money, it had to be perfect. I was kind of bummed because I don't have anything like this in my closet and really liked the bohemian feel of it.  



Next up was this dress.  I like it but honestly was gonna send it back at first glance because she had already sent me a navy striped shirt dress in a previous fix that I had kept.

But then I tried it on.
 I loved it! It had the perfect hemline.  The other dress she had sent fit entirely different and I have to wear tights with it.  This one is long enough to wear alone.  I immediately grabbed my red espadrille wedges that I got for $2 from Dirt Cheap at the end of last summer( Originally from Target). This gave it a nautical feel.  And I'm totally loving anything nautical right now which tells me Catherine must have peeked at my Pinterest board. The fabric is stretchy and comfortable and I can wear flip flops for a really casual look.


So I totally kept this one and anticipate it will be my go-to dress this summer.

Then there was this turquoise cardigan. I loved the color!! But I was thinking I wouldn't keep this one before I even tried it one…just because I have several open faced cardigans that are very similar and I wasn't sure how I felt about the long "points".
But then I styled it with stuff in my closet.
Then I was torn. The points kinda grew on me and already had some really cute stuff to match it. 

 And this was my fifth piece…the dainty little monogram necklace.
They usually send you one accessory in your fix.  It could a necklace, bracelet, earrings, scarf…even  a purse!  Catherine sent me this as a everyday necklace and I loved the length, color and weight of the chain but I wasn't crazy about the "s". (and she picked the s for Stephanie…I know so many of you forget my name is not actually Honey. insert smiley face)  

Oh and back to the turquoise sweater, in the end I decided not to keep it either.  I liked it a lot but didn't love it.   

Now about the prices you are all interested in.  When you fill out your profile, you set the limit on how much you are willing to spend on pieces. I set mine as low as you can go and the average price of stuff in my fixes  is $27- $75.  I have had some pieces that were sent to me that were a little more. Do I spend that much on clothes? Um…No. It killed me to spend $100 on my mother of the bride dress.  Having raised three daughters who all loved fashion as much as I do meant I had to be frugal and resourceful through the years.

I have been shopping for clothes in thrift stores for about 25 years now….long before it was the hip place to shop.  I hit garage sales on a regular basis and only shopped clearance racks.  I didn't even look at anything full price in the stores.  I also learned how to shop my closet and change things up with stuff I already owned and accessorize , accessorize, accessorize!  Throw on an inexpensive scarf and you feel like you have a whole new top!

So what am I doing now buying these high end clothes at full price?
Well Stitch Fix has an amazing thing called referral credits.
Every time someone who uses my referral code orders their first fix, I get $25 dollars in my account!
Shazamm!  That $25 adds up sister and those amazing high quality, high end, boutique style clothes that you thought you could never afford become the best deal you can ever receive!  
How does free sound?  
As much as I love my beloved Dirt Cheap store that y'all hear me talk about where I get new shoes for $2 and dresses for $5…I love free even better.

You can easily enjoy these benefits too.  And you don't have to be a blogger to do it.  My friend, Jessi, shared some great tips in a recent blog post that inspired me to share more of the details of my own stitch fix journey.  Check out her post here to see what she suggests…from pinning pics on pinterest to using social media like Instagram .   I learned a few things myself.  I love that girl…so much that even if you used her for your referral I'd be tickled for her.

I hope this helps in some of the questions you may have had about Stitch Fix.
Of course, if you decide to take the plunge and give it a try, I'd love for you to use my referral code by clicking here.
But I will still love you even if you don't. xoxo

And before I go…I thought I'd share who busted up up on my stitch fix "photo shoot"….
Only the cutest grand kids in the world.  The ones who made me a Honey.
 Paw Paw was keeping them entertained while I snapped a few pics for this post.
Nate was not into looking at the camera.

 But these two were.  Rosalyn had found one of my hats and accessorized her outfit all on her own for her 4-wheeler riding. She even put her own twist on it and decided to wear the fedora backwards.  She's a chip off the old block.

 Then she wanted to take a "real picture"…like  Honey.

Then they wanted to do it again a few days later.

Happy days!  They know how to make this grandma giggle.
And I think they both have a few poses I need to learn for my next stitch fix post!



ps. you can check out my other fixes by clicking the links below.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Honey, you are 2Xcute for sure and those Grans, just adorable! Love you fixes and I'm pretty sure you could look cute in anything. Always enjoy your posts and your fixes! Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love love that dress, it looks fabulous on you! i definitely have heard many great things about stitch fix, maybe i need to get on board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received that dress too! and I absolutely love it as well. Love the feel of it, so comfy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...