Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Losing to gain

This is what is going down around here.
All of us Holden women have let a few pounds slip up on us this past year.  Some of us (ahem) more than others.  None of our clothes fit anymore, we have no energy, and just feel yucko.  It happened for various reasons...mostly emotional eating which apparently they have inherited from me.  We eat when we are stressed (or rather drink Cokes and Dr. Peppers).  We eat when are tired.   And.... we eat when we are happy.   We are a family who loves to celebrate and we love food.  So the odds are against us when it comes to losing weight. 

 We also have another wedding coming up and we'd all like to look and feel great on Lauren's big day. We've done a lot of complaining but haven't really done anything about it. We've all tried to get motivated but have just been stuck in a rut.


Enter in Loni.
This is my mom. Their grandmother.
This woman is a mover and a shaker. She doesn't sit still for much of anything and she has the heart the size of Texas.  She also knows how these girls thrive on a little friendly competition with each other....I mean, she has played board games with us on numerous occasions.  She knows firsthand how vicious it can get.  So when she suggested "sponsoring" a little weight loss competition between the girls to give them an extra boost of motivation, I was like say wha?  Sign me up too!  And when I say sponsoring, I mean she has funded a generous prize to the competitor who loses the most!...as in a weekend beach trip OR a shopping spree for a new wardrobe!!  We haven't settled on which yet.

Whoop Whoop!!

Well let me tell you....THAT put some fire under our butts and gave us the motivation we needed.
We decided to "go public" with our little challenge because we'd love some encouragement and accountability over the next several months.

So here we are.
Meet....




 Don't let the Honey part fool ya.  She may be a grandma but she's more like tidal wave when it comes to winning....she plans to swallow the other's up and spit them out just for the fun of it.  She's been known to go loco at times and if opponents aren't careful with KaHoney, they won't even know what hit them.  This grandma would rather eat you for lunch than bake cookies for you. Keep your eye on The KaHoney.  



 Baby lady is one tough cookie. She's no one to mess with. She's birthed three kids in the past four years and can leap over a sofa to wipe a snotty nose while changing a dirty diaper with the other hand in the blink of an eye.  She's watched enough Yo Gabba Gabba over the past year to snap at any moment.  You don't want to get in the way of this momma...she's one crazy baby lady and she will take you doooown.


 Ladeea ...which rhymes with Madea..is just plain scary. She won't hesitate to cut you down to size with that insane wit of hers and get all up in your face and do what she does best.....mess with your mind.  Intimidation is her secret weapon and she loves to make people cry before breakfast.  She's been known to steal candy from small children AND old ladies. She's a force to be reckoned with. And I ain't tiddin.


Meet Bridezilla. She ain't letting no one get in her way of stealing any thunder from her on her big day.  She is fast as lightening and fear is not in her vocabulary.  Her head is as hard as they come and she has two emergency room visits to prove it.  She's so fierce, as a child all she had to say was "move it sucka" and people would tremble and flee.  She's been waiting for her glory day in the hot sun and will take out anybody who stands in her way.  No more being bridesmaid....it's Bridezilla now!



There ya have it folks.
The four contenders.  
When the dust settles there will only be one winner left standing to claim Loni's prize.

BUT we will have all gained.
Gained our health.
Gained self control.
Gained energy.
Gained resolve.
Gained our lives back and feeling good.

So wish us all luck as we're losing to gain!!
We will keep you posted.
Please don't hesitate to hold us accountable or encourage us  as you "see" us around  on facebook or instagram....Especially you friends that know us in person and see us for reals. 
We'll be using the hashtag #losingtogain

Of course, we all know the others don't stand a chance against KaHoney..
but don't tell them that ok.   I mean, I'd like a LITTLE competition. ;)


                                                                                                 

ps.  in case you're wondering...we are doing this the healthy good old fashioned way....exercise, eating less and making changes to the types of food we are putting into our bodies.   No fad diets, gimmicks or pills.  We all want to make a lifestyle change. Bam.

pss.  No, you can't join us to win the prize. This competition is only open to me and the three girls I birthed into this world.  I'm sorry.  I wish everyone in the world had Maw Maw Loni's in their lives.  She is the best for sure! BUT hey...you can join us on the journey to healthy living!  I'd love to hear about the changes and choices you are making!

20 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you girls!!! I can't wait to hear about all of the changes and how this experience improves your health overall. I'm in too (love your pss btw!) because even though I can't compete for that awesome prize (I need a Loni in my life) what I will gain is so much more. I'm already down 24 pounds and can't wait to keep going. Watching your beautiful ladies will be great encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome. I can't wait to watch the battle! Y'all are gonna be fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've got this mama!!! thanks for letting us join the journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo! This is awesome! I can't wait to see y'all after this! Even though you are ALL beautiful as can be right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AWESOME. excited for you guys!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. absolutely hysterical and awesome!!!! go, fight, win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let the games begin! LOL! Love those serious pics, I was a little scared myself! Whew that's going to be some stiff competition. Thanks for being "real" and sharing with us! Can't wait to hear and "see" the transformations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that phrase "losing to gain." I've always struggled with my weight and the motivation for losing it. Looking at the reward is so much easier than focusing on the struggle. Thanks for being so transparent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! You are hilarious! I'm going with KaHoney all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha I love this! your family makes me smile :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE THIS!!! BTW, I have recently embarked on eating healthier and working out. I have lost 20 lbs since I've began and it has been EASY to stick with!! There's an iphone app: myfitnesspal. Idk if you have heard of it, but it's WONDERFUL! It makes you accountable for your calories, and significantly helps!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well goodness, i don't know who to cheer for. but i am laughing so hard i am crying. you guys are the best! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just recently began Weightwatchers on March 1st and I am down 14 lbs 6 oz since I started. I have also started running/jogging at least 1-1.5 miles 5 nights a week and doing a "crossfit" like workout 5 days a week also. If any of you can join a Zumba class, I highly recommend it. I lost about 40 lbs by doing Zumba 4-5 times a week and watching what I ate before I got pregnant with my 3rd baby. And it took me about 6 months to lose that 40 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Stephanie, good for you gals and what a precious Momma you have to sponsor this endeavor. Just remember this: Eat to live, don't live to eat! This was my Momma's motto and I love it and try to remember it everyday. What fun and I look forward to watching those pounds melt away on you gals! Don't tell but I'll be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this idea! Your mom is an angel indeed :) I love the profiles of each contender, so hilarious...wish you could adopt me :)

    I'm on my own journey to weight loss and healthy living in essentially the same way you are so I'm looking forward to the motivation you ladies will bring and I will be there to encourage you too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You gals can do it!!! What a great and fun way to encourage each other!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my word girlfriend this cracked me up bad. like bad bad! i'm dying. i am SO with ya. i turn forty in less than a month and i feel like i'd need to fast every day between now and then to make it to my goal weight. oh the lofty goals i had. talk about feeling like a failure. so i'm with ya. i'm gonna be fighting too...just not looking as hilarious doing it! go holden girls!!! you can all do it. i know you can:))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dude - I am about to fall about of my chair - love, love, love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha loved this. my fav was about your oldest watching yo gaba gaba. lol

    good luck ladies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. you are hilarious.

    you are all beautiful just as you are, but i also get that feeling healthy is key.
    we're back on the south beach diet here at casa de jones.' it helps us to develop discipline (which we lost over the winter/hybernating/ holiday months) we only drop a few lbs on it, but ultimately feel healthy.

    btw- for you coke drinkers- have you had good earth sweet and spicy tea? try it cold. it's delish!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...